Tuesday, November 15, 2011

N.A.I.M.E. and Pancreatitis Pain

N.A.I.M.E. (nonvasculitic autoimmune encephalytis) is associated with Pancreatitis pain and results from long term narcotic usage (pain management).

From what I have been able to gleen from reading up on nonvasculitic autoimmune encephalytis it seems that what happens is that (or at least this is what some docs are telling their patients) the nerves within the abdominal walls become altered in some way in so far as they begin to carry the pain messages instead of the nerves to the abdominal walls doing the task.

This syndrome, nonvasculitic autoimmune encephalytis, actually results in perceieved pain that actually doesn't exist within or come from the pancreas. If this seems hard to swallow I understand because it doesn't yet make sense to me either but nerves and the autoimmune system do some crazy things, especially when they go astray.

Mayo Clinic

You can Google "nonvasculitic autoimmune encephalytis" and do more research yourself but I warn you, there isn't much to go on and a lot of what is there is either in abstract form or requires you to pay a membership fee to a medical profession subscription for access.

I am NOT an expert on this subject and so I am only going to suggest that IF you have CP (chronic pancreatitis) and have been addressing the pain issue with narcotics for an extended period of time and your pain is increasing or not being relieved you may want to chat with your doctor about N.A.I.M.E. and find out exactly what you can do to resolve the issue. Of course ...

If you are still drinking alcohol and/or eating foods that trigger pain (AP/CP) you may want to consider changing your lifestyle, what you put in your mouth matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment