Thursday, July 26, 2012

Does Cabbage Cause Pancreas Pain or Acute Pancreatitis?

Read ALL of this post because cabbage is as likely to cause pancreatitis pain or pancreas pain as you are of winning the lotto tonight or this week. Cabbage and other vegetables are NOT your enemy - they are your friend!! But ...

I can not say the same for pancreatitis support groups. 

I can not recommend support groups because most are comprised of sick people who do not learn and give off way to much BAD information and here is a VERY recent prime example:

Poster: "I have had CP for four years and only been in the hospital once but last night I thought I was on my way to ER. Has anyone had a problem with eating a cucumber or cabbage? I had both last night and was able to stay home with my pain meds but still not feeling too good. Just liquid and crackers for a few days."

Answer #1 "i eat cucumber every day and it does nothing-its one of my 'safe' foods but i gave up cabbage ages ago............... after an attack"

Answer # 2 "Haven't eaten cabbage, but do okay with cucumber. Hope you feel better soon :)"

Poster: "Thanks, guess I will skip the cabbage."

Now I can guarantee you cabbage is not the problem. Why would cucumber (a vegetable) cause ZERO problems while cabbage (also a vegetable FULL of antioxidants) does?

Does that make sense?

I am tired of wasting my time with people who enjoy being sick. That is why I have decided not to waste my time in support groups. I have told these same people and provided EVIDENCE to back up what I say yet they do NOT listen. So why waste the time? But ...

What really concerns me is that people who may want to learn how to heal join these support groups that are full of erroneous information and they get led by people who have not taken the time to do their due diligence and learn what is really the problem. Now ...

Could cabbage cause a problem?

ANYTHING is possible but I really doubt it. Cabbage causes gas in some people, just like broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables but farting is far cry from pancreas pain or an episode of acute pancreatitis isn't it?

So what may be the culprit?

First you need to know what the person ate WITH the cabbage. For example did she:

1) Have corned beef and cabbage? If so it was the corned beef causing the problem not the cabbage.

2) Put the cabbage in a salad such as cole slaw or top it with some sort of oily dressing? If so, then it was the mayo or oil that caused the problem.


3) If the poster would have said I ate the cabbage and cucumber raw with NOTHING else my next question would be what did you eat yesterday and the day before? I would ask this because ...


Raw or boiled cabbage (by itself) is as likely to be the cause of the posters complaint as you or I are of winning the lotto this week.

I eat TONS of cabbage. But ...

I NEVER eat it with beef or oily dressing. In fact I usually eat it raw or only cook it in some manner that does not require oil or animal fat (no oil, no fat, no grease, no pam spray, nothing) and top it with only spices like salt, pepper, garlic and sometimes cayenne pepper for some kick. Cabbage by itself has NEVER made me sick but I can tell you that BEEF and cabbage or cole slaw or something similar may make me VERY sick. But hell don't take my word for it because I am adding some vegetable research to back up what I say. So ...

Be sure to have corned beef and cabbage or cole slaw or some salad with cabbage smothered in an oily dressing tomorrow or this weekend, get sick and then ...

Blame the cabbage!

Vegetable research


1 comment: