Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Curcumin: People with SOD or Gallstones Should NOT Take Curcumin

Once you read this post about SOD, Gallstones and Curcumin feel free to throw darts at me if you have Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction or gallstones and have taken curcumin because I take it and have not seen the best of results. However ...

IF you have seen good results please hold the darts but consider being cautious :-)

I was just answering some questions for a lady on my facebook page who has SOD and I remembered something that I should have told people about curcumin so ...

This realy proves that I too can be an idiot at times and that I make mistakes. So here it is:

IF you have Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction you should NOT take curcumin or use turmeric in cooking because curcumin induces bile flow and in SOD patients this could prove to be a not so good experience. I am NOT saying that taking curcumin will cause AP in SOD patients but it may contribute. Since it increases bile flow and since the Sphincter of Oddi is narrowed that increased flow of bile can back up and if it backs up into the pancreatic duct it can cause AP.

People who have gallstones should probably avoid turmeric and curcumin as well simply because increased bile flow could cause a stone or stones to pass and if they block the duct then AP results.

The good news is this ...

Like I have mentioned before I used grape seed extarct and vitamin C first and it worked a miracle. I found curcumin later and added it. So curcumin may not be necessary, just a good addition and natural pain reliever for those who do not have SOD or gallstones.

Again, IF you have Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction or gallstones you may want to refrain from using turmeric or curcumin for pain relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment