Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pancreatitis Food Diary: What About Diabetes?

What if you are diabetic due to pancreatitis? If you have become diabetic due to pancreas damage from acute or chronic pancreatitis creating a food diary will be more of a challenge and take more time because you probably won't be able to fast. In fact, the whole process of healing may be much more difficult simply because you may not be able to even rest your pancreas for the necessary time to eleviate pain and more damage. However ...

ASK your doc if you CAN fast if you are not on insulin. If you are NOT on insulin you may be able to stop your diabetic meds and prepare like those who are not diabetic BUT - ASK you doc FIRST!

In fact, I am really dumb when it comes to being diabetic and on insulin so there may be a way to stop taking insulin IF you are not eating - I do NOT know so ASK your doctor.

If you can NOT fast then the only other alternative is to go completely vegan and after a couple weeks of a COMPLETELY VEGAN diet enemize your system in order to get rid of any remaining animal type fats that may be adhereing to your intestinal tract. So ...

The steps you would or will take to create a pancreatitis food diary if you are currently diabetic is to:

1) Ask your doctor about fasting and find out what you can and can not do in regards to stopping insulin injections while fasting (I doubt this is an option), stopping diabetes meds (pills) while fasting, or even if you can fast at all so that you can "rest" your pancreas in order to lesson pain during periods of pancreatitis pain and symptoms.

2) IF you can fast make sure you find out what you need to do in order to start a fast because if you are on meds it may not be safe to simply stop taking them, you may have to titrate (slowly ween off the meds) and your doc can tell you how to do that.

3) IF you can NOT fast - then you will need to approach this differently than I did. You will need to adapt, improvise and overcome. So, what I would do, if it were me, would be to go COMPLETELY VEGAN (NO animal, Fish, Dairy or OIL). In fact - I would go on a vegegatble juice diet if that was ok with my doctor and then after 5 days of a strict vegetable juice diet I would enemize my intestines until I was sure I had rid my bowels of all animal fats and proteins.

4) IF you are able to do the veggie juice diet that would be very helpful and then after cleansing your intestinal tract you would begin to add in whole vegan foods such as fresh veggies, rice, beans and so on. Once you had been on nothing but fresh veggies and other foods such as rice that have ZERO FAT AND you have ZERO symptoms (hopefully the juice and vegan diet has curtailed the inflammation and pain) you could begin to add in small amounts of dairy (one food at a time) and give it a week to 10 days to see if you develop any pancreatitis symptoms. If you haven't already I'd suggest you read about the basic pancreatitis food diary so that you'll know how to continue your food diary journey.

You can play around with the above ideas to suit yourself because I am simply guessing as to what may work if you are already diabetic due to pancreas damage from pancreatitis.

2 comments:

  1. I have read that Coconut Oil is ok and maybe good for Pancreatitis. What is your felling on this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut is extremely high in FAT. Alcohol and FAT are the major enemies of those who suffer with pancreatitis no matter what the cause for their pancreatitis is so my feelings or thoughts about coconut oil is this: It may not work well for those who have unhealed damage and may even contribute to more inflammation in those who have healed.

      IF it were me I would avoid it.

      Delete