Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pancreatitis, Pancreatic Cancer and Aspirin

Those of us who suffer with pancreatitis, especially those with chronic pancreatitis, also enjoy an increased risk of cancer of the pancreas aka pancreatic cancer. One of the reasons I use aspirin to relieve pain and inflammation is that it seems to be safer than other NSAIDs because it doesn't cause heart attacks. However ...

There may be another good reason for those of you still in pain to use aspirin to rlieve the pain by reducing the inflammation within the pancreas. According to a new study aspirin may reduce the risk of pancreatic cancer. I am not going to go into the whole thing because you can read about it in several different places online. You can read about it via an article published in Science Daily last April right here: Aspirin May Lower the Risk of Pancreatic Cancer

Nothing is conclusive but hey - a little lower risk of developing pancreatic cancer may be a good thing right? In any event the article is interesting :-)

2 comments:

  1. Have a question for you. I have been doing a juice fast trying to heal my chronic pancreatitis. I have been having some pain and wondering if you think the detox would cause pain in the pancreas? Otherwise I'm having other detox symptoms like severe fatigue, headaches. I'm hoping it is detox as I'm not eating and can't imagine I am flaring anything up with just juicing vegetables. I'm on day six and it is otherwise going well and I'm determined to heal this. Still taking the supplements you recommend also. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous, Headaches and fatigue sound more like symptoms of detox due to the juicing whereas the pain may be from your pancreas simply because it is still inflamed. I can not come up with a reason the juice (vegetable or citrus) would cause inflammation of the pancreas. I'm going to guess it is because your pancreas is still inflamed from prior food choices but since I don't know your history all it is is a guess.

    If it were me and I knew it was pancreas pain I would probably stop all food for a few days, take the grape seed extract, curcumin and vit C (in increased quantities) and wait for the pain to resolve - then - once my pain was resolved, I had no symptoms for 24 hours, I would resume the juicing if I was hungry. Remember ...

    Hunger is a good sign but loss of appetite (no hunger) signals that you should not be eating at that time. I know this is all confusing but my rule of thumb that I live by is:

    I only eat when I am hungry. If I do not have hunger pangs I do not consume food. So ...

    If you are sure the pain is pancreas pain you may want to consider fasting and increasing the amounts of grape seed extract, curcumin and vit C until the pain resolves and hunger agian signals it may be safe to continue drinking juice, preferably vegetable juice.

    If the pain returns I'd again fast (no food, no juice - just water and supplements) until pain resolved.

    You may have to continue this yo-yo course until the inflammation disappears and allows you to consume even juice more frequently or consistently and then slowly graduate to solid food (VEGAN).

    Unsweetend grapefruit juice may also be beneficial in stopping the inflammation. It was for me even before I discovered the supplements. I drank a lot of it - daily. Just make sure it does not interact with any medications you may be taking (call your pharmacist and ask).

    I hope you find resolution and in time healing.

    ReplyDelete