Saturday, September 10, 2011

Hypertriglyceridemia Leads to Pancreatitis

I have to be totally truthful in regards to hypertriglyceridemia leading to Pancreatitis. Until recently I didn't even know a cause of AP (Acute Pancreatitis) is hypertriglyceridemia or high blood fats.

Since I am one of those curious kind of males I started looking into just how hypertriglyceridemia caused or lead to AP and what I found is it seems common sense would dictate that a complete change in diet may help resolve the issue or a complete diet overhaul in combination with Niacin may do the trick.

I say it appears to be common sense because:

1) High fat intake leads to hypertriglyceridemia and so a low fat diet of fruits and vegetabls (the vegan thing) would eliminate the high fat from food sources.

2) Niacin lowers blood fats, that is why doctors prescribe prescription strength niacin (Niaspan) to lower cholesterol and blood fats.

3) ZERO Alcohol since alcohol can raise blood fats and is toxic to the pancreas.

If you have AP due to high blood fats and your doctor has not recommended Niaspan or a Niacin supplement you might want to consider asking him or her about niacin and of course changing the way you eat to a vegan diet for a time until your blood fats and AP resolve. Then you'd want to continue in a low, low fat diet plan unless of course you enjoy pain.

If your hypertriglyceridemia is hereditary (FAMILIAL) with no secondary cause diet and niacin may help but probably won't permanently reverse the problem.

The good news, if what I read is correct, is that high blood fats do not normally cause chronic pancreatitis. Now, I am not sure how this actually plays out because it would seem to me that Acute Pancreatitis will cause some form of damage and when there is damage, chronic pancreatitis usually follows, but ...

Like I said, I am totally new to hypertriglyceridemia and the resulting AP so if this is true or untrue I couldn't tell you. If you currently suffer from hypertriglyceridemia pancreatitis you would know much better than me what is true and untrue.

I have compiled a few pieces of research that may interest you and will post them so you can read about your situation and maybe discover some information you may not have.

Why Does Hypertriglyceridemia Lead to Pancreatitis?

Definition of Chylomicron

Issues in Hyperlipidemic Pancreatitis

No comments:

Post a Comment