Monday, September 19, 2011

Why Does My Child Have Pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis in children is rare but when I see this as a search term used by some parent, who I know is hurting, maybe even thinking it is their fault that their child has Pancreatitis, it breaks my heart.

Pancreatitis in children is rare but shit happens and ...

There are only TWO reasons I could ever see as a possible reason for a parent to feel it may be their fault that their child has Pancreatitis and that would be because of

1) Abdominal trauma due to a deliberate beating of the child resulting in severe abdominal trauma.

2) You were drunk (driving drunk or drugged) and created an accident that damaged your child.

Otherwise ...

A parent should never blame themselves.

Shit happens.

So let me address the question "Why does my child have pancreatitis?"

1) Trauma to the pancreas is a known cause in children. I myself was injured playing football. My folks, especially my mom, blamed themselves for my pancreatitis and that just isn't right. They were no more to blame than God. In fact, IF there is anyone who deserves blame it is me because I made a bad mistake. I didn't keep my head and body as low as I should have, which resulted in that abdominal injury.

2) Hereditary pancreatitis caused by a genetic predisopsition to cystic fibrosis or an autoimmune disease, hyperlipidemia or hypertriglyceridemia (high blood fats) are known or potential causes of childhood pancreatitis but ...

Even though the suspected causes in #2 are mainly hereditary that does NOT mean either parent is to blame. They could no more predict their childs illness or the possibility of pancreatitis due to their upline gene pool that I can jump over the moon.

Hell, most doctors can't even diagnose pancreatitis or know what causes it (most think it's only alcoholics that get pancreatitis) so why on earth would a parent feel responsible?

3) Medications. Some medications such as antibiotics and medications used for diabetes cause pancreatitis. It is interesting to note that one class of drugs most associated with Pancreatitis are opioids (morphine, etc...) yet docotrs prescribe them for pancreatitis pain instead of using anti-inflammatories such as Ibuprofen to reduce and eliminate the inflammation which is the direct cause of the pancreatitis pain and resulting injury to the pancreas.

4) Infections such as Mumps. If your child get mumps they amy also get Pancreatitis.

5) Abnormalities of the pancreas or intestine can cause Pancreatitis.

6) Idiopathic pancreatitis. There are many cases with no known or suspected cause. 15% of Acute Pancreatitis and up to 40% of Chronic Pancreatitis cases have no definite cause.

If your child has Pancreatitis I know you hurt, every time you see your child in agony it is tearing at your guts. The only thing I can suggest is to find a way to help them.

Leave a comment and let me know you're alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment