Sunday, August 14, 2011

Frequently Asked Pancreatitis Questions

These Pancreatitis Questions are taken from the keyword phrases that people have used to find my site and not questions that have been directly asked of me; However, If people are using them for search they obviously want answers, don't ya think?

1) Vitamins, minerals and supplements for pancreatitis?

The best vitamin-mineral formulation I have found is called All In One. It uses mostly, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants from plant sources. It also has a full complement of amino acids and mixes easily in my orange juice. It is also gluten free.

The others are of course grape seed extract, vit C and curcumin. The grapeseed extract, vit C and curcumin seem to fight the inflammation. Well they don't seem to, they do! And they are all 3 very strong cancer fighters as well.

2) Does turmeric and garlic cause pancreatitis?

In a nut shell NO.

In fact there is begining to be quite a bit of research available on the Net from scholars (PubMed) that indicate curcumin, the curcuminoid found in turmeric, definitely relieves Pancreatitis pain.

Garlic is another highly anti-inflammatory little gem. It is also a cancer fighter and an antimicrobial. So it has the added benefit of protecting the pancreas for sufferers by helping to ward off bugs that might cause infection.

3) Can someone with pancreatitis have cough syrup?

I don't see why not as long as it does NOT contain alcohol. Make sure you read the label and if you have any reservations about a product ask a pharmacist for their input as to alcohol content.

4) True pancreatitis cures?

There are none. There is NO cure for pancreatitis. I have found a regimen (diet and supplements) that have enabled me to be pain free for a long time. But that doesn't mean for one minute I am cured. I know this to be true because I had been pain free for years and made a bad mistake (I missed "pork casings" on a label) and was sicker than a dog for about 3 weeks. So if you are looking for a cure, you'll be looking for a long time.

5) Pancreatitis can I still drink beer?

Does beer contain alcohol?

Oh it does?

Then beer is out!

NO alcohol- period!

6) Is jack fruit bad for pancreatitis?

This one I frickin' had to look up lol. Jack fruit is common in southeast asia, Indonesia and other places but I have never eaten it. Quite honestly it never looked to good. Even though I looked it up to see if I could find something about it's properties, I found little. What I was looking for is to see if it was similar to avocado and full of fat. I did NOT find what I was seeking so I must admit - I have no idea.

If Jack Fruit is an oily, high fat fruit like the avocado, be very careful. The avocado has beneficial omegea 3 oil and is even an anti-inflammatory food but if you are sick (experiencing pain etc...) it is a food to stay away from until you may be able to tolerate a small amount. Avocado can be a 2 edged sword. See my Pancreatitis Diet info section for more details.

7) Pancreatitis pizza?

As far as I know there is NO such thing as a pizza that is safe for a Pancreatitis diet. They are full of fat from meat, cheese and oil. Even if you get a "veggie pizza" the crust is FULL of oil from cooking (pizza hut, dominoes, etc)and it's topped with cheese.

If you made a home made pizza from scratch and left out everything that contained fat it wouldn't really be a pizza but it may help you curb your craving for one. You could try "soy cheese" and bake it without using oil.

8) If i already have cronic pancreatitis can i get a pre payment plan for private health care?

Great question.

I called an insurance broker after I was diagnosed and asked. At that time "Pancreatitis" was uninsurable for both health plans and life plans. I do not know if the "uninsurable" stipulation has changed.

9) Can pancreatic infection kill you?

Yes, in fact necrosis and infection in combination, necrotizing pancreatitis, is quite deadly. It is something you do not want.

10) Pancreatitis at what age does it strike?

Pancreatitis seems to be a fully discrimmination free killer as far as age is concerned. It can victimize children and older adults. Supposedly it strikes mainly between the ages of 30 - 40 but don't count on it. I first started having symptoms at 16 and was finally diagnosed at 24 or 25. However old I was in 1979 at time of diagnosis. There are people whose stories I have read about who were as young as 2 years old!

I'll do more later.

Leave a comment and let me know you are alive!

2 comments:

  1. The doctors keep ignoring my cries over pancreatitis.already had my gb removed didnt help I have lived off crackers and water for four weeks now.I have no more energy .my lipase etc is always normal ..help coolestchic1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jd I have some questions.

      1) Have you ever been diagnosed with pancreatitis acute or chronic?

      2) Have you been to the ER while having symptoms?

      3) How long had symptoms been present by the time you were admitted to the ER?

      4) How many times did they draw blood while you were there? The reason I have asked questions 3 & 4 is because amylase and lipase usually do not rise for several hours into an attack of AP.

      On average, during uncomplicated cases, the serum amylase level starts increasing from two to 12 hours after the onset of symptoms and peaks at 12 to 72 hours. It usually returns to normal within one week.

      Lipase levels increase within four to eight hours of the onset of symptoms and peak at about 24 hours. Levels decrease within eight to 14 days.

      Rarely both amylase and lipase levels may be normal in a patient with CT-proved pancreatitis.

      5) Did they do a CT scan?

      In regards to the doctors ignoring your cries over pancreatitis if they haven't done the enzyme tests after 4 - 6 hours of clinical onset of symptoms nor a CT you could insist they do so.

      If they have done everything right it could be you have some other condition that needs to be found and addressed.

      Delete