Thursday, August 11, 2011

When It Comes to Pancreatitis I am ...

Kinda "One Way." Pancreatitis can kill me and you.

I know this and you should.

I have a complete regemin I created through my own research. It stops my pancreatitis attacks in 90 minutes or less. Plus my daily regemin pretty much keeps an acute attack from happening.

I have had pancreatitis for awhile (diagnosed 32 years ago), was told maybe I had 10 years left when diagnosed and I'm still alive.

ONE major series of pancreatic attacks in 16 years of using my regemin, NO necrosis, cysts, organ failure etc ... at least not that I know of for sure and of course if I had suffered organ failure I am sure I would have known and most likely wouldn't be here writing this blog.

That one series of pancreatitis attacks, in the last 16 years, was MY fault. I didn't read the label on some turkey sausage and missed the "pork casings."

I paid for that mistake for 2 - 3 weeks.

I had 12 episodes of major pain (all knocked out within 90 minutes) but I was one sick puppy for like 3 weeks. And ...

As a fellow pancreatitis suffer you probably know what I am saying in regards to severe pain and not feeling to damn good.

Along with my pancreatitis pain regemin I also have a pancreatitis diet that I do not vary from, at least not willingly.

I have had people try to kill me in the past with their cooking but I finally got smart and put an end to that with the only solution I found that works.

Friends, family and doctors may make suggestions and I may nod my head, trying to be polite but I KNOW what works.

I've done TONS of research and simply put everything together into two simple steps.

1) Stop the pain
2) Keep it from happening again

Now that is somewhat oversimplified but it's exactly what I have done in a nutshell.

I cringe evey time I think of having another Acute Pancreatitis episode.

I know my experience with the medical community and I personally do not want to be in a position where I have to count on them for anything other than my prescription anti-emetics (nausea drugs). Because ...

After 7 ER visits with none of those boobs able to figure out what the hell was wrong I'd rather place my destiny in my own hands.

I have had much better success.

But, that's me.

And I admit those ER visits were 32 years ago and maybe things have changed but my last episode was I think in 2005 and I didn't even bother going in because of my past experiences.

I know time is of the essense and screwing around with people who, from what I've found through my own personal experience couldn't diagnose strep throat without doing a culture, isn't in my best interests.

I know what you may be thinking ...

Things have changed in 32 years.

From taking my 84 year old mother to her doctor and listening to his dumb bullshit, along with seeing her suffer with symptoms he could not get a handle on for over 20 years of treating her, I personally doubt it. However ...

MY current doctor has actually started to help me regain hope that there are a few doctors who can think on their feet and can actually get it right, but, for me, it's gonna take some more "let's see how it goes" time.

IF I truly need them, doctors, I damn well hope things have changed in the ER because past history only tells me one thing - I'm on my own. And so ...

If I seem like a "one-way" knda guy it is because I've had one person to rely on, ME, and I am the ONLY one who has been able to stop my pain and keep my ass alive since Dr. Langdon diagnosed me in 1979 and then left town to teach in Texas.

I am the ONLY one I trust because even my own mother has made me sick (unintentionally) with what she thought was ok.

So here's the truth in a nutshell ...

The ONLY two enemies we face are:

1) Alcohol
2) Fat

The enemy isn't spices, salt, sugar, nitrites or nitrates or whatever. It isn't chili peppers or cayenne that's the problem in fact cayenne is your friend. Cayenne is highly anti-inflammatory and do you recall what pancreatitis is?

Correct!

It's an inflammation of the pancreas.

ANYTHING that is anti-inflammatory is your friend and fat (except fish oil) is NOT anti-inflammatory, it is the EXACT opposite.

So here's the deal.

Unless you have cysts, necrosis or calcification and you are sick and in pain it is because of two things and quite frankly you probably have the cysts, necrosis or calicification because of these two things:

1) You drink alcohol or unknowingly consume it in some form whether via food, over the counter remedies or mouthwash

2) Your diet contains fat

Period, that's it, there are NO other reasons.

Even if your Pancreatitis is due to an autoimmune disease or high blood fats the chances are you are in pain because you are NOT doing what you should be doing.

The problem with most people lies in the fact they are not willing to do what it takes to resolve the pain.

Read that again.

The problem with most people lies in the fact they are not willing to do what it takes to resolve the pain.

Read that again.

The problem with most people lies in the fact they are not willing to do what it takes to resolve the pain.

Instead ...

They always look for a magic pill and that's why fat people (I'm sorry if I offend you) look to diet pills and meds that are harmful or can be harmful instead of consuming less calroies than they burm daily.

If you are fat it is a 99% chance you are fat because you eat to much, eat the wrong foods and don't exercise. You can't stay slim porking out on chips, dips, icecream, pizza, cake, pie, cookies, donuts, double whoppers with cheese and fries, and adding in a diet coke to make yourself feel like you've really accomplished something.

IF you try to manage your pancreatitis the way most fat people manage their weight you are in BIG trouble.

I know, I'm blunt. But ...

Beating around the bush doesn't get it done.

If you want to be molly coddled, lied too (so your feelings aren't hurt), or hand-held I'm not your guy, see your doctor or find a nutritionist, on the other hand if you want to be pain free pay attention to what I share with you.

I smoke.

I drink coffee, hell, I live on coffee and cigarettes.

And my diet.

And vitamin C, grape seed extract and curcumin.

I do NOT drink or consume alcohol in any way, shape or form and ...

My diet is EXTREMELY low in fat. And ...

I will NOT eat food prepared by others because I can NEVER be absolutely sure of what it contains and what it contains means the difference between being well or possibly dead.

Hell, I even make a mistake now and then. If you recall my last episode of acute pancreatitis was MY fault.

I didn't read a label!

I screwed up so I am not perfect but I'm the only one I trust when it comes to pancreatitis and MY life.

If you want to be pain free you need to take responsibility and control your pain. It can ONLY be accomplished by completely changing the way you eat and drink and by taking the three supplements I have told you about.

Try anything else you like.

It's your life.

I have found what works for me and ...

Since pancreatitis isn't an enigma disease, I would guess, bet even, (wouldn't stake my life on it cuz there is ALWAYS a chance of failure) it will work for you. If you have a lot of damage it may take longer than the woman or man next to you in line but to be real blunt ...

My personal opinion is that if it doesn't work for you it's because YOU didn't follow directions.

1) You consumed alcohol in some fashion
2) You ate something that YOU thought wouldn't hurt or you weren't willing to give up
3) You ate food prepared by others
4) You didn't take ALL 3 supplements (vit C, grapeseed and curcumin) or
5) You didn't take them in appropriate amounts

If you wish to differ or argue feel free.

I'm just a guy who doesn't have pancreatitis pain anymore UNLESS I personally screw up whereas you are still searching for pain relief, am I right?

Yes, I am.

I know I am right because if you were pain free and feeling fine, you wouldn't be here reading this blog post would you?

So again, feel free to disagree but if you should decide it may be worthwhile to give my regimen a try here is where you can find a complete list of the supplements I use daily to ensure I am NOT sick like you are now: Pancreatitis supplements

Leave a comment and let me know you're alive!

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, I missed something. IF you are a Celiac (have Celiac Disease) you also need to strictly adhere to a gluten free diet in order to keep CD from attacking your pancreas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a question for you now that you are doing so well after all these years. I have just gotten out of the hospital and just ordered all the supplements you have recommended and am going to abide your advice as I do not want to go through this ever again. The pain scares me so very much and I just want to be healthy and enjoying life. If I can't eat everything out there then fine... I'm okay with that. I just want to be able to live my life to the fullest!

    I'm wondering about exercise. I am a road cyclist and although I know I won't be doing it anytime soon can I progress to get to that state again? I've always been a very active person in regards to cycling and blading and I hate to lose out on that completely. Its such a stress reliever for me and I believe gotten me this far struggling with this disease for the last 8 years not knowing what it was!

    I believe I ended up in the hospital over the weekend because I overdid it on Saturday. I was feeling so good and got busy cleaning the house and rearranging things and did eat a small portion of chicken breast also and then the next morning major attack. I need to learn my limits but want to be hopeful that I can progress down the road.

    Thank you for your blog I have learned so very much on here!! I follow you on twitter also! Thank you for the info... its a lifesaver!

    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya Tami,

    Good news! Once your pancreas heals and you do not have the pain, nausea etc ... there is no reason you can't begin cycling again. I love to ride white water and as long as I am well riding class IV and V water never bothers me. If you are sick, well, that is a whole different story. So cheer up my good woman, if you get your pancreatitis under control, allow your pancreas to heal and begin feeling well again your days of cycling will again be realized. Just remember this: Just because you get the condition under control, your pancreas heals (due to the rigid regimen of diet and supplements) that doesn't mean you can QUIT the regimen. You will ALWAYS need to adhere to the strict diet and take the supplements for the duration of your lifetime - IF - you don't want to be where you are now. The regimen is NOT a cure. If I were to stop doing what I do and try to eat like a normal person I'd be sicker than a dog in short order - so don't think you'll ever be cured. It won't happen, but, you can get it under control and lead a fairly normal life. Good luck Tami - I'm rootin for ya! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe me from everything I had read on your site and others I know that I am not going back!!! I want to be healthy again and stay healthy!! I ordered the supplements you recommend this morning and am looking forward to starting on them as soon as possible!!

    That gives me such hope to be able to get back to cycling and exercising!! I am so deathly afraid of getting that pain again so for now only doing chicken broth and mashed bananas. Its so hard to keep the weight on and I've lost about 14 pounds already and sure don't need to lose anymore!

    I'm planning on printing off a lot of the info you have on here and keeping it so I can read it over. I've read so many scary things online with this disease and I refuse to end up that way!!

    Thanks again I really appreciate it so very much!!

    Tami ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tami, be careful with chicken broth or any broth that isn't staight vegetable broth. Broth made from animals, especially beef, pork or lamb contain way to much fat but even turkey and chicken broth can have to much fat. If you are having symptoms I'd stay away from ALL animal products, that includes dairy (milk, cottage cheese, cheese, sour cream, butter), mayo, margarine, cooking oil, pam non-stick spray (any oil or anything oily), avocado, oily fish (salmon, trout, sardines, tuna, mackerel). I know you don't want to lose weight, but, that may not be something you can avoid until you feel well again.

    I would suggest a modified VEGAN diet, no animal products or dairy and NO oil. Vegans cook with oil. That is NOT a good thing for people who have Pancreatitis and still have symptoms (that includes tenderness in the abdomen). So the vegan diet minus oil + the grape seed extract, curcumin, vitamin C and All in One Multi should get you to better health within about 6 months (could be more, could be less). Once you have NO symptoms and NO abdominal tenderness you can try adding in some chicken, turkey, fish, and try cooking with safflower oil (only oil that doesn't make me sick as far as cooking oil) but use it sparingly. Oh and do not try to add everything at once. Add one thing, eat it for a month or so to see if you develop any symptoms. If you add two things at one time you won't know which one is the culprit. However ...

    If you develop symptoms again, it is back to the modified vegan thing until you heal. You can not afford more damage. Symptoms mean you need to pull back and regroup and fast before you have an Acute Pancreatitis episode. And remember ...

    Once you get to where you are feeling well, you pancreas has healed - don't think you are cured cuz you aren't! There is no cure for us. It is diet and supplements for the rest of what time we have left. Otherwise you will be sick again and maybe not so lucky :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok I will check on that. The broth I have is an organic chicken broth. I have to also be gluten and corn free and it shows 1 gram fat. I thought I was limited with the corn and gluten but now this is just unbelievable with the limited food choices!!

    I will definitely make sure I have no symptoms for several months. At this point I'm very scared to progress very far with anything. One thing is since my diet has been so limited I'm used to not eating a wide variety but it is hard when that variety becomes less and less all the time!!

    I have hardly had any pain since being released from the hospital yesterday thankfully but I know that doesn't mean it isn't still flared up and would take the tiniest amount. I am going to do this the right way and make sure to get myself very healthy and healed!! I'm so tired of being sick all these years and I'm living to not as I remember those wise words from an earlier post of yours!! ;)

    Tami

    ReplyDelete