Monday, August 29, 2011

The KEY to Overcoming Pancreatitis: STOP the Inflammation!

I'm gonna harp at you about this until you "get it." It is absolutely imperative to stop the inflammation in order to overcome Acute Pancreatitis and Chronic Pancreatitis.

Nothing else matters.

Nothing!

It inflammation that causes all the damage.

Ok, it is actually the digestion of the pancreas by its own digestive juices that create the damage BUT ...

It is INFLAMMATION that is responsible.

That is why MY first goal to achieve during an Acute Pancreatitis episode is to STOP the pain by STOPPING the INFLAMMATION.

That is WHY I swallow 1300mgs of aspirin, the EXTRA grapeseed extract and curcumin during an acute pancreatitis episode. All THREE are HIGHLY anti-inflammatory.

If you have chronic pancreatic pain, you have inflammation.

The inflammation is caused by:

1) The food you eat
2) The alcohol you consume

Narcotics only mask the pain. They DO NOT stop the inflammation which is causing the pain. In order to STOP the pain you MUST stop the inflammation.

I am beginning to think that pancreatic tissue can regenerate but this regeneration (if possible) can not take place until the inflammation is completely resolved.

How do you stop or resolve the inflammation?

You begin my regimen.

1) Diet. You adhere to MY Pancreatitis Diet (find it in previous posts). If you have pain you need to become a vegan (No meat of any kind or any type of food prepared with meat, this includes broths. No dairy, No fat, No oil).

Vegans use oil to cook, you don't.

No oil.

2) Supplements - You consume 300 - 800mgs of grapeseed extract (100mgs to 200mgs 3-4 X Daily), at least 500mgs of curcumin (preferrably 1000, 500 2 X daily) and at least 1000mgs of vit C DAILY. You also take a GOOD enzyme supplement with pancreatin 4X 15-20 minutes before every meal and a QUALITY multi-vitamin supplement with B12 (do not buy a product with the B12 called cyanocobalamin. Cyanocobalamin is super cheap B12 and contains cyanide used in the extraction process. Methylcobalamin is what to look for). You NEED B12 when on a vegan diet because B12 can only be consumed naturally by eating meat and dairy.

3) Anti-inflammatories for pain (Ibuprofen, aspirin)

Once you have adhered to the regimen for how ever long it takes to become pain free you continue with the vegan diet until you have been pain free for at least 6 months. Then and ONLY then ...

You may begin to add in some LIGHT fat to your diet and see how it goes. But your days of red meat, pork, lamb and any form of alcohol are OVER.

Just because you become pain free doe NOT mean you are cured. There is NO cure for Pancreatitis. Once you have it - you are ALWAYS at risk. So ...

For the rest of your life you will be on the regimen, diet and supplements unless of course you want to have pain or worse.

The choice is this:

Stop the inflammation or DIE.

No sense "pussy-footin" around.

Those are your options.

Granted you may not die tomorrow if you don't change your lifestyle and stop the inflammation. You may be lucky and suffer for YEARS before having that Acute Pancreatitis episode that leads to necrosis, infection, internal bleeding, organ failure and death. Or maybe the medical establishment will get you totally hooked on narcotics, slice open your pancreas (various proceedures) or even remove it completely before you die. That sounds wonderful doen't it?

Yes, I am blunt, rude, obnoxious and sarcastic but I am doing my damn best to get you to understand how critically important it is to STOP the damage and you can ONLY do that by stopping the INFLAMMATION!

If you ever come up with a better plan, please, let me know.

Leave a comment and let me know you are alive!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for your honesty...it is fresh to hear...no pussy footin' around. I am about to try your method of being pain free. I would also like to be drug free. I have been doing this dance with my C.P. for far to long with no answeres to improve my daily life. Life is magic and you may just have helped me find my music to a new dance, Thank you!
    N. Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure N. Anderson. I hope you do try my method of becoming pancreatitis pain free and find that magic, music and new dance cuz you are right, life is magical! and much more easily enjoyed when you feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @N. Anderson - By the way make sure you let me know how you are doing. I don't care whether you buy your product from my site or get them at your local health food store - just make sure you get GOOD, QUALITY products.

    The grape seed should be at least 85% proanthocyandins (some bottles say polyphenols). 90 - 95% is better and make sure it is pure grape seed extract or grape seed with vitamin C or pine bark but nothing else because other ingredients can be toxic at high dosages. Vitamin C and/or pine bark are fine, even complimentary and also non-toxic.

    Make sure the curcumin is 95% curcuminoid. With no other ingredients, just curcumin.

    The easiest way to know you are getting good products is to buy what I recommend (if your health food store carries them) or simply print this and take it with you.

    You can find the "All in One" multi-vitamin/mineral formula at any good store. Fred Myers even carries it (or at least the one I go to does).

    Good luck and remember to come back and tell me how you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I found this site. For two years I have been having episodes of pain that begin in the middle of my back or front and radiate to the back ( or front ).

    When it first happened I was very sick for months with fevers, chills, pain and weird heartbeat. I have LITERALLY been to 8 different Dr's and about 4 ER visits. Nobody can ever tell me what is wrong and they start treating me like a nutcase. All my tests are normal, normal CT, Normal ultrasound and normal blood enzymes. 99% of the time the pain isn't bad enough to justify an ER visit ( and they never do anything anyway ).

    After a lot of internet searching of my symptoms I am positive that I have CP. I believe that my CP is a bit more mild than many I have read about since i don't have the agony and/or vomiting (yet). Eliminating fats and alcohol from my diet keeps the attacks away and indulging in them guarantees more pain and sickness.

    I have also found that taking aspirin does help. I take it daily 180mg in the morning and 180 in the evening. Ibuprofin works too.

    Anyway I just wanted to share and say how happy I am to find some of this information, which 'jives' with many of the conclusions I have been slowly arriving at. Thanks for the tip on the grape seed, grapefruit juice, and curcumin, I'm going to give it a try ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are finding the info here of value. I must advise you though to keep persevering to get a diagnosis. CP (chronic pancreatitis) has many symptoms of other conditions which means you may or may not have CP. Try to locate someone (doctor) who specializes in Pancreatitis so that you can either rule it out or receive a definite diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Healthy Guy i have read alot of your sight. thank you for Hope! i have inflammatory arthritis in knee an i think it is do to cp. i have not been diagnosez but my mom died of bile duct cancer, my brother 32 of colon cancer from ulceryive colitis,other bro had gall b removed an now has stage 4 throat c. Our digeztive genes are not good. Drs do blood tests an liver kidney func. is fine but blood shows inflammation somewhere! colonoscopy was good. my gut tells me cp, but terrified to ask for ct scan etc.. an the head case stigma they make u feel. on dmard for arthritis.. take motrin is fish oil okay to take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First I must recommend you get diagnosed.

      Second, inflammatory type arthritis such as RA is associated with pancreatitis, autoimmune pancreatitis; however, that doesn't mean you have pancreatitis.

      IF you do suffer with recurrent acute pancreatitis or chronic pancreatitis fish oil may not be such a good idea until after all symptoms have resolved, including any tenderness in the pancreatic abdominal area. Even then, fish oil should be used in small amounts, maybe 2 - 3 times per week to see how it works with your pancreas.

      Fish oil, even though good and healthy for most people, is oil and oil (fat) is not a friend to those who have pancreatitis.

      Delete