Sunday, August 14, 2011

My Pancreatitis Diet and WHY It Is So Dang Important


I remember having acute pancreatitis (I had been diagnosed by this time) while at a small University town. I had a job selling cars at a Chevy dealership.

I had NOT told anyone when I applied that I was sick. I simply didn't think it was really anyone's business, anyway ...

The pain came on fast and intense.

I made it to the head for water to take my Ibuprofen and Compazine.

I'm about 25 - 30 minutes into the attack, sitting on the floor, against the white tiled wall, leaning forward holding on to my guts so they don't fall out and panting like a dog when this guy I worked with came in to the head and asked if I was ok.

I was barely coherent but managed to say something like:

"Does it look like it?"

He asked me if I wanted an ambulance and I said:

"No, they can't help me."

I prayed alot durng those periods of acute pancreatitis.

I had nothing else to rely on except God, my Ibuprofen and Compazine.

After an hour or so the Ibuprofen kicked in and the pain began to subside.

I told the boss I needed to go home, and he didn't even ask why (I must have looked like death warmed over).

I didn't die and in a few more hours I took another one of those horse pills (Ibuprofen).

Now I was still married to my first wife at the time. She was a damn fine cook, one of those farm gals who was good in the kitchen and she had made tamale pie for dinner the night before.

I loved her tamale pie.

As intelligent as Dr. Langdon was (remember, he was the ONLY one who could figure out my condition) he told me to limit fats and drink NO alcohol.

And that's how it was for quite sometime.

I pretty much thought the doc was right, that I may not live 10 years. In fact, I was beginning to think he was a might generous in his time frame.

I can tell you, from personal experience, that "limiting fats" doesn't work because my wife had seen me sick and she knew first hand what I was going through and tried her best to "limit fats" by making sure she didn't use any extra fat in cooking, draining fat from meat she cooked and so forth. But ...

It just didn't work.

It wasn't until I figured out that eating was NOT a good thing, or at least eating the way I was accustomed to eating, that things began to change.

I started making a list of things I knew contained fat.

Red meat, pork, lamb, duck (duck may be a distant cousin to poultry but it is way to greasy), butter, margarine, mayo, whole milk, cooking oil etc ...

My list became quite long.

I asked my wife to begin cooking with nothing except what was on a very short list I had left.

Fish, chicken, turkey, veggies, fruit, legumes, and whole grain products.

In a couple months I noticed I began feeling MUCH better. And so it went until I discovered grapeseed and curcumin.

Once I had done some research, ok, HOURS and hours of research and put everything together in regards to diet and fasting for as long as it took to FEEL hunger before I ate again after an episode of pain I was on my way to relief. Then ...

Years later when I discovered grapeseed and curcumin things really changed. And after awhile I had way more "well days" than "sick days."

I tightened up my diet (I eliminated EVERYTHING with fat - period) and started a grapeseed and curcumin regimen.

I basically became a vegan for like 6 months.

To my suprise and JOY, I became well?

After about 6 months with ZERO pain, I began to try some skinless chicken and fish.

I was still ok.

I started gaining weight and soon looked like I might live. I felt like I might too, for the firt time. In fact, for the first time, since becoming sick, I actually began making some plans for the future because ...

Maybe I actually had a future. But ...

I'm a curious idiot of sorts and sometimes have this need to know stuff that gets me in trouble so I wanted to know whether it was my diet or the grapeseed and curcumin that were making a difference. So ...

Like I have previously mentioned somewhere I did a test on myself.

I don't remember whether I dropped the diet first or the pills but either way I became ill again on just ONE. I found out that the elimination of ALL fats and meat (except chicken, turkey and fish) from my diet and the vitamin C, grapseseed and curcumin regimen were BOTH absolutely necessary IF I wanted to feel well.

ONE without the other DID NOT work for me.

If you are in pain and want it to stop you should consider TWO things:

1) A complete overhaul of your diet
2) The addition of vitamin C, grapeseed extract and curcumin to your daily ritual.

You can get quality supplements at any good health food store or you can check out the exact ones I use here: Supplements for Pancreatitis

If you have pain, your pancreas is not a happy camper.

Pay attention now ...

IF you have PAIN your PANCREAS is NOT happy!

If you have necrosis and cysts it is because your pancreas is not a happy camper.

Your pancreas is not a happy camper because in some way, whether your fault through alcohol abuse or continuing to eat HIGH FAT foods, it is telling you to "Back off."

You NEED to listen to your pancreas because ...

If you don't listen, your pancreas is simply gonna say "screw it" and destroy itself. If that doesn't kill you, then ...

You will either be facing a potential surgical removal of the pancreas (not a pretty picture), living on insulin shots and enzyme therapy or of course the very real possibilty of death due to NOT having a functioning pancreas.

Is eating high fat foods such as red meat, pork, lamb and so forth worth it?

Only you can answer that, it isn't up to me.

It is your decision.

Leave a comment and let me know you are alive!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Health Guy, a quick question: are game meats such as venison, antelope, and elk -- all of them lean -- also verboten from now on forever?

    Thanks for the website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous, I can only hazard to guess because I quit hunting in 1980. I can NOT give you an honest answer simply because I have NOT tested wild game meat such as venison, elk, moose and antelope since I have become mostly well. I remember how sick I was and it simply isn't worth the risk to me. I know it is still saturated fat though much more lean (less fat) than beef.

    I know grouse, quail, pheasant, turkey and such are fine.

    I wish I could be more helpful or positive in regards to pancreatitis victims eating fresh wild meat.

    ReplyDelete