Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pancreatitis - Why It Is Best to Eat What You Cook

One of the things I have learned the hard way is that it is much safer to eat only what I myself have prepared.

Here are some reasons

Family and Friends - Your family and friends may care about you, even love you dearly but they have been cooking their way for years.

If they use a little butter, bacon fat, mayo, or marinade that chicken breast with a little wine or whatever - they inadvertantly think:

"It's just a little, what's it gonna hurt?"

Well, that little bit of bacon grease in the fried potaotes probably will make you very ill and could possibly lead to complications that kill you.

You need to ask yourself: "Is it worth it?"

I know this is in fact what happens because I have become ill eating food prepared by friends and family.

I found the easiest way to remedy the problem was to simply avoid the food prepared by others.

I've had 2 wives and a myriad of live in girlfriends.

They all, even though it was unintentional, made me sick with their food.

My own mother, who loves me dearly, has made me sick with her cooking.

You absolutely must take responsibilty for your own life (if you wish to live) and avoid eating food prepared by others. They simply don't get the significance of: "A little dab will do ya." And I don't mean that in a good way because that little dab of something your pancreas doesn't like may lead to the attack that turns chronic pancreatitis into an acute episode that ends your life with necrotizing pancreatitis or organ failure.

Restaraunts/Fast Food Joints

Do you know the cook?

Does he/she know anything about your condition?

Probably not and even if you dine at a restaraunt that offers low fat menus that doesn't mean the food that is on your plate is safe.

Have you ever watched a cook at work in say an Applebee's, Shari's or IHOP?

I have.

They may have bacon, eggs, steak, pancakes and hashbrowns cooking on the grill at the same time. They have to cook several meals at once, they don't have time to do one meal at a time and completely clean the grill between meals.

So what happens?

The grease from the steak and bacon is mixing with your eggs and hash browns.

Even if it isn't your food on the grill at that moment, when they are finished cooking what is on the grill they simply take a spatula and scape off the residue.

The grease from the steak and bacon gets smeared all over the top of the grill and they throw on some more oil and then chuck your food on top of all that grease to cook.

That is a Pancreatitis Attack waiting to happen even if you simply order eggs, hash browns and dry toast because it is cooked in a combination of bacon fat, steak juice and oil!

You may think I am being "anal" about all this but I'm still alive after 30+ years. I've learned the hard way and I've been extremely lucky.

I also understand that my luck could run out at any time and I'd personally prefer it were much later than tomorrow or next week simply because someone cooked my food in a grease puddle.

So, again, you need to choose between what is best for you, your health and in this case, your longevity and eating food prepared by others.

Leave a comment and let me know you're alive!

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled upon your blog a couple of weeks ago and have appreciated reading your thoughts on pancreatitis. Since that time I've made changes based on your recommendations and I have actually felt better... for the 1st time in a year.
    This particular post resonated with me in a sad way. I feel like I can't dine out with my family because I fear the pain will return if I consume anything prepared at a typical American restaurant.
    Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marylee - I am gald you feel better and have found the information about pancreatitis and how to live with and over come pancreatitis helpful. I wish I could tell you eating food prepared by others is safe but ,,, it isn't safe and may often harm you when you are a victim of chronic pancreatitis.

    ReplyDelete